FOREST - Au
The memorial for all guardians of floodplain forest, Forest district Tvrdonice
Rýnava, Forest district Tvrdonice
Our logo, the oak tree on the river bank, symbolize one of our project called FOREST - Au . In German language the word "Au" means flood plains. We have chosen this word because the most interesting flood plains in the Czech Republic are located at the confluence of the Morava river and the Thaya river, right on border with Austria.
Within the project FOREST - Au we participate on protection of lowland forest and non-forest ecosystems, also in cooperation with state authorities and/or with (Austrian) NGOs. Our main activities in this project are direct lobbing, raising remarks against forest management plans, take a part in administrative procedures, propose management plans and do regular monitoring of interesting areas. We also offer educational activities and excursions in this topic for both students and wide public.
Austrian protected areas which are in focus of the project FOREST-Au:
- NSG Angerner und Dürnkruter Marchschlingen
- NSG Rabensburger Thaya - Auen
- NSG Untere Marchauen Drösinger Wald Fürstenwald Hohenau
- NSG Kleiner Breitensee
- Nationalpark Donau-Auen
- NSG Lobau-Schüttelau-Schönauer Haufen
source: Bundesministerium für Umwelt, Jugend und Familie, (c) Umweltbundesamt, Wien, Mai 1993
The board indicating the protected natural area Angerner und Dürnkruter Marchschlingen in the state of Lower Austria
- Check also Wild Rivers pages which are closely related to the floodplain wilderness topic.
- Fluss ohne Grenzen - Auenwildnis an der March (The river witout borders - Floodplain wilderness at Morava river, documentary movie)
- Restoration of the Lower Morava Floodplains project (source: www.life-march.at)
- Wildnis am Strom - Nationalpark Donau-Auen (Wilderness with the energy - National park Danube floodplains, documentary movie)